Kent Place is proud to announce that Yale senior Sophie Huttner — Kent Place Class of 2018 — has been named a 2023 Rhodes Scholar. Sophie, a global affairs major, is one of just 32 students out of a competitive pool of more than 2,500 selected for the prestigious academic program, which is hosted by the University of Oxford.
Mission and History
Since 1894, we've been dedicated to empowering girls.
We remain at our core the intellectually charged, forward-thinking Kent Place that opened its doors in the 19th century. Our mission statement cements our core values, highlights what makes KPS unique in our marketplace, and purposefully articulates the power of being a school that raises brave and brilliant girls. Dr. Jennifer Galambos, Head of School
Kent Place School empowers girls to be confident, intellectual, and ethical leaders who advance the world.
Woven tightly into the mission of Kent Place School today is the story of its founding.
It was the spring of 1894, a time when independent primary and secondary schools for boys were opening across New Jersey. Feeling strongly that their daughters should have access to the very same educational opportunities, six Summit families met to discuss the establishment of a school for girls. Just a few months later, in the former summer home of New York State Chancellor James Kent (1763-1847), Kent Place School opened its doors. Sixty girls were welcomed that first year, and for generations of young women to come, the course of their education — indeed, their life journeys — would be forever altered.
- Amelia S. Watts, Principal (1894–1896)
- Sarah Woodman Paul, Principal (1896–1924)
- Harriet Larned Hunt, Headmistress (1924–1952)
- Florence Wolfe, Headmistress (1952–1965)
- Macdonald Halsey, Headmaster (1965–1980)
- Archibald R. Montgomery III, Headmaster (1980–1986)
- Dorothy H. Dillon, Head of School (1986–1987)
- Arlene Joy Gibson, Head of School (1987–1996)
- Karan Ashford Merry, Head of School (1996–1999)
- Susan Collins Bosland, Head of School (1999–2017)
- Jennifer C. Galambos, Head of School (2017–Present)